Monday 24 December 2012

Things I'll Miss About Bosnia: #8

European football at a reasonable time!

European football lovers don't know how lucky they are to
have football broadcast at humane times!
(Source: nottheitgirls.com)

Most of you should know by now that I am absolutely nuts about my football (that's 'soccer' to some of you), and I have been this way since I was a little kid.

Growing up, I particularly loved watching the English Premier League on the telly. 

Whether it was catching a fixture of my once-beloved Chelsea, keeping tabs on Australians such as Mark Viduka and Tim Cahill running around for their respective clubs, or eyeing over a tense Champions League clash - I was always hooked to watching the round-ball code in Europe.

Unfortunately, due to the large time difference that exists between Europe and Australia - the former being around 9 hours behind is the norm - I often had to make-do with viewing these matches at ungodly hours of the day.

Rising out of bed at four or five in the morning for a football match was a common occurrence in my teenage years, let me tell you!

Now, being based in Europe, I have had to wrap my head around the fact that I can finally view my beloved sport at an acceptable and reasonable time. 

Actually, I almost feel in heaven at the moment, with local television regularly broadcasting football on weekends from noon until close to midnight. That is nearly 12 hours of live top-flight football!

Mind you, despite this fortuitous position I currently find myself in, early morning football remains deeply ingrained into my psyche.

If awake at two in the morning, I still find myself flicking through the channels trying to find some live football. Usually, it takes me at least a couple of seconds before, again, realising where I am living in the world!

'You can take the boy out of Melbourne ...'

No comments:

Post a Comment