Monday 13 August 2012

Ramadan: Back on track!

Fasting during Ramadan encourages people
 to think more about those who go without
food because they have no choice.
(Source: Edu.glogster.com)
I am very pleased to write to you today to inform you that I have finally progressed past my Ramadan 'dry patch'.

Stuck on six days of fasting for around a week-and-a-half, I managed to complete my seventh day of fasting yesterday (Sunday). Man, it feels good ... and already I feel a bit of weight off my shoulders!

Now, I sit half-way along the road to my projected goal of 14 days, meaning there is still quite a way to go.

However, as I have previously stated, the truth is this Ramadan experience is not all about myself and how I am coping with fasting. From the very beginning, I wanted to use this opportunity to discover more about this tradition from my anglo-Australian perspective, and to, hopefully, provide my followers back home with a greater understanding of everything compared to what they receive from the usual mainstream media.

With that said, I would like to iterate a strong point of Ramadan; one which I have failed to do thus far in my journey.

Many of you already know the key reasons behind Ramadan and fasting. For example, these reasons include demonstrating submission to God, and to cleanse one's soul of 'sins' they have previously committed.

Increasing the social awareness of people, however, is one fact which I have not yet made reference to. Straight to the point, fasting is supposed to raise citizens' awareness to the struggles of the poor. More particularly, the burning desire for food and water which a 'faster' experiences during the month of Ramadan is shown to be nothing compared to the daily - and often life-long - experiences of the poverty-stricken.

Personally, and speaking in a general sense, I believe that there needs to be more knowledge and care towards the socially-disadvantaged; so, regarding this aspect of Ramadan, and Islam in general, I believe it can only be a good thing.

Certainly, when my stomach began grumbling yesterday afternoon during my fast, my thoughts almost immediately turned to those who experience this terrible feeling on a daily basis, and to a far worse degree.

I don't mean to make a pun, but that is some food-for-thought for not only myself, but, perhaps, for all of you.

Cujemo se / Speak soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment