Saturday 4 August 2012

Bosnia-Herzegovina football season begins!

FK Zeljeznicar Sarajevo seem to be the team
to beat for the upcoming season of the Premier
League of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
(Source: SportPortal.ba)
I am very excited this afternoon as, finally, the 2012-13 Premier League of Bosnia and Herzegovina kicks off today.

Anyone that knows me personally knows just how passionate I am about football, therefore it is a relief to finally have some sport to watch that grabs my attention (unlike the majority of the current Olympic events, I must say).

FK Zeljeznicar Sarajevo must be the favourites for this season considering they are the champions of the previous two seasons, though they do face stiff opposition from other Bosnia-Herzegovina heavyweights in Borac Banja Luka, Siroki Brijeg and crosstown rivals FK Sarajevo.

One club which I really hope will perform well this season is Celik Zenica; the side which, since my visit here last year, I have assigned my local allegiances to.

After a promising first half to last year's season, Celik disappointingly dropped off to finish a mediocre ninth. No doubt the club's hardcore fans will be hoping for at least a top-four finish this season to place Celik back in European competition for the first time since 2008.

The season opens today with Travnik playing host to Zeljeznicar. Arguably, however, the match of the round must be the fixture taking place tomorrow evening between traditional rivals FK Sarajevo and Celik Zenica.

Though I was due to attend the fixture in Sarajevo, fate did not work in my favour. Regardless, I am very excited about getting my backside down to a number of games across all of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the next few months.

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment